[ABE-L] New issue of MusMat Journal

Hugo Carvalho hugo em dme.ufrj.br
Qua Dez 28 14:52:12 -03 2022

The MusMat Research Group is pleased to announce the publication of this
new issue of the *MusMat • Brazilian Journal of Music and Mathematics*. The
second number of our sixth volume is composed of four papers. The edition
opens with “Contextual Dyadic Transformations, and the Opening of Brahms’s
Op. 5 as a Variation of the Opening of Schumann’s Op. 14”, a paper by *Scott
Murphy* where he discusses, from a group-theoretical perspective,
Schumann’s influence on Brahms’s compositional style, by showing that the
latter’s opening of his Op. 5 is a variation of the former’s opening of his
respective Op. 14. Following, we have the paper “Python Scripts for
Rhythmic Partitioning Analysis”, by *Marcos da Silva Sampaio and Pauxy
Gentil-Nunes*, in which they present a Python implementation of the
software Parsemat, initially implemented in MatLab/Octave programming
languages and extremely helpful to perform rhythmic partitioning analysis.
Moreover, the authors also expand Parsemat by adding access to measure
indications of each partition, annotation of texture information into
digital scores, and many other features. Next, we have a paper on a topic
also discussed in the MusMat 2022 Conference, “On Xenakis’s Games of
Musical Strategy”, by *Stefano Kalonaris*. This work discusses Xenakis’
pieces based on zero-sum games (Duel, Stratégie, and Linaia-Agon), and
reveals axiomatic inconsistencies between the game-theoretical model and
the musical implementations biased toward the composer’s aesthetic
preference. Finally, we close this issue with a paper by *Charles Ames*,
“Building a Knowledge Base of Rhythms”, that proposes a software to create,
store, and access rhythmic patterns formed by rests, attacks, and ties for
compositional purposes. He also demonstrates his program in several
examples and creates parallels with several of his previous pioneering
tools on computer-assisted composition. Enjoy the reading!

Click on this link to see the current issue:
https://musmat.org/en/musmat-journal/issues/vol-vi-no-2/
Check here the previous issues https://musmat.org/en/musmat-journal/issues/.

All best,

--
Hugo Tremonte de Carvalho

• Assistant Professor @
 - Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (*UFRJ <https://ufrj.br/>*)
 - Institute of Mathematics (*IM <http://www.im.ufrj.br/>*)
 - Department of Statistical Methods (*DME <http://www2.dme.ufrj.br/>*)

• Member of the MusMat Research Group <https://musmat.org/>

• Coordinator of the Specialization in Data Science
<http://www.im.ufrj.br/index.php/pt/ensino/pos-graduacao/pos-graduacao-do-im/cursos-lato-sensu/ciencia-de-dados>

Personal website:
*im.ufrj.br/~hugocarvalho/ <http://im.ufrj.br/~hugocarvalho/>*