[ABE-L] Seminário de Probabilidade - IM-UFRJ - 4 de setembro

Maria Eulalia Vares eulalia em im.ufrj.br
Seg Ago 28 22:52:24 -03 2023

Dear colleagues,

Our next seminar will be held on Monday, *September 4*, from *3:30 p.m. to
4:30 p.m*. (Rio de Janeiro local time).  This meeting will take place at
room *C116 - Bloco C - CT** – Instituto de Matemática – UFRJ. *There will
be no transmission online.

Speaker:* Guilherme Reis  (Technical University of Munich)*

Title: *Interacting Edge-Reinforced Random Walks*

Abstract: Recall that in the simple Random Walk (RW) on Z the walker,
starting at 0, just jumps either to the right or to the left with the same
probability. It is a classical result that the simple RW on Z is recurrent.
In the Edge-Reinforced Random Walk (ERRW) the walker keeps track of the
edges already visited and gives extra bias to the edges mostly visited. We
would expect that the behavior of the ERRW depends on the strength of the
extra bias we decide to give to the edges. The ERRW is a non-markovian
process introduced by Diaconis and the first results about it goes back to
Davis in 1990. Davis showed, under some assumptions, that the ERRW on Z is
either recurrent or it localizes in a single edge with probability 1. What
would happen if instead of a single ERRW we consider two or more walkers
reinforcing the edges of Z? In an ongoing project, together with Nina
Gantert (TUM) and Fabian Michel (TUM), we plan to answer the above question.

More complete information about the seminars can be found at

http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=3398

Sincerely,

Organizers: Giulio Iacobelli e Maria Eulalia Vares