[ABE-L] [summer school] Tropical Probabilistic AI School (Tropical ProbAI), Rio de Janeiro — Jan 29-Feb 2, 2024

Eliezer Silva silva.souza.eliezer em gmail.com
Sáb Nov 4 20:31:05 -03 2023

Tropical Probabilistic AI School — Jan 29-Feb 2, 2024
You are invited to apply for the 1st Tropical Probabilistic AI School
<https://tropical.probabilistic.ai/> (TropAI), held on January 29-Feb 2,
2024, in
*Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. *
APPLY NOW <https://tropical.probabilistic.ai/application/?utm_source=abe-l>
— The application deadline is November 23, AoE (Anywhere on Earth).

The ProbAI is here to provide an inclusive educational environment that
serves state-of-the-art machine learning and artificial intelligence
expertise with a probabilistic twist.

Whether you are a Ph.D. student, advanced MSc or BSc student, experienced
researcher, engineer, or hobbyist, you're welcome to join our community of
learners.

With a carefully designed curriculum and a seamless blend of theory and
hands-on sessions, our expert team of invited lecturers will guide you
through five intensive days, each dedicated to a different topic:
introduction to probabilistic modeling, probabilistic programming, variational
inference, and optimization, deep generative models, *representation
learning*, and causality. We will also have a poster session, an excellent
opportunity to discuss your ideas with a motivated and knowledgeable
community and learn what others are doing in a laid-back setting.

We should experience a collaborative and immersive learning environment
where students, lecturers, and teaching assistants work together to deliver
an efficient and high-quality knowledge transfer.

On the social side, we are close to many essential spots of Rio, with
Corcovado / Sugar Loaf in the view, a distance to Copacabana, Christ the
Redeemer, and the options to socialize and explore. We hope the school week
will also be full of good social experiences!

Program & Lecturers
Let our team of invited lecturers take you from the foundations up to the
state-of-the-art, with a program covering roughly each day:

> - Introduction to Probabilistic Modeling

*- Probabilistic Programming*

> - Variational Inference and Optimization

> - Deep Generative Models
- Representation Learning
- Causal Inference

The list of speakers includes

> - Helge Langseth <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=yyXvuZsAAAAJ>
(NTNU)

> - Adèle H. Ribeiro <https://adele.github.io/> (University of Marburg)
- Wilker Aziz <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=phgBJXYAAAAJ>
(University of Amsterdam)
- Diane Bouchacourt <https://ai.meta.com/people/diane-bouchacourt/> (Meta,
FAIR)
- Gauthier Gidel <https://gauthiergidel.github.io/> (Mila, University of
Montréal)
- Zenna Tavares <https://datascience.columbia.edu/people/zenna-tavares/>
(Columbia University, Basis Research Institute)
- Sam Witty <https://samwitty.github.io/> (Basis Research Institute)
- More to be confirmed!

 Visit our website <https://tropical.probabilistic.ai/> for details.

Registration Fee

> Students (including PhD) → 900 BRL
> Academia → 2000 BRL
> Industry → 3000 BRL

 The TropAI school has available scholarships if the registration fee or
travel costs may prevent you from attending the school. Our scholarships
are aimed primarily at applicants from Latin America, developing countries,
and under-represented groups.
The registration fee includes all courses, coffee breaks, and lunches.

Organizers
The new Tropical 2024 edition of the Probabilistic AI School (ProbAI) is hosted
and organized by the School of Applied Mathematics <https://emap.fgv.br/en>
at Fundação Getulio Vargas <https://portal.fgv.br/en> (FGV EMAp) with the
support of Norwegian Open AI Lab <https://www.ntnu.edu/ailab> and Norwegian
University of Science and Technology <https://www.ntnu.edu/> (NTNU).