[ABE-L] Seminário DEST/UFMG em 20/10/2023

Marcos Prates marcosop em gmail.com
Sex Out 13 15:00:00 -03 2023

Caros,

Na próxima sexta-feira (20 de Outubro, às 13:30h) o ciclo de Seminários do
Departamento de Estatística da UFMG terá a apresentação do prof. Fernando
Quintana da PUC-Chile.

Fernando got his Phd in 1994 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and I
have worked my whole academic life here at the Pontificia Universidad
Católica de Chile, where I am currently Full Professor.

Title: Childhood Obesity in Singapore: a Bayesian Nonparametric Approach

Abstract: Overweight and obesity in adults are known to be associated with
increased risk of metabolic and cardiovascular diseases. Obesity has now
reached epidemic proportions, increasingly affecting children. Therefore,
it is important to understand if this condition persists from early life to
childhood and if different patterns can be detected to inform intervention
policies. Our motivating application is a study of temporal patterns of
obesity in children from South Eastern Asia. Our main focus is on
clustering obesity patterns after adjusting for the effect of baseline
information. Specifically, we consider a joint model for height and weight
over time. Measurements are taken every six months from birth. To allow for
data-driven clustering of trajectories, we assume a vector autoregressive
sampling model with a dependent logit stick-breaking prior. Simulation
studies show good performance of the proposed model to capture overall
growth patterns, as compared to other alternatives. We also fit the model
to the motivating dataset, and discuss the results, in particular
highlighting cluster differences. We have found four large clusters,
corresponding to children sub-groups, though two of them are similar in
terms of both height and weight at each time point. We provide
interpretation of these clusters in terms of combinations of predictors.

O seminário será transmitido ao vivo pelo canal do Youtube "Seminários DEST
- UFMG <https://www.youtube.com/@seminariosdest-ufmg>".

https://www.youtube.com/@seminariosdest-ufmg

Att,
Marcos Prates