[ABE-L] Fwd: {MEDSTATS} Re: "Basic and Applied Psychology" Bans The Use of P Values and Confidence Intervals

Alexandra M. Schmidt alex em im.ufrj.br
Qui Mar 12 07:54:27 -03 2015

Basilio, como sempre, super bem informado! :)

De fato, resolvi contactar alguns renomados bayesianos para ouvir a opiniao
deles sobre o editorial da revista.

As opinioes,incluindo a do Christian Robert, aparecerao no proximo numero do
ISBA Bulletin, que deve sair em breve.

Abracos
Alexandra

> Alexandra in action
>
> Enviado do meu iPhone
>
> Início da mensagem encaminhada
>
> > De: "Sean O'Riordain" <seanpor em acm.org>
> > Data: 12 de março de 2015 03:37:43 BRT
> > Para: medstats em googlegroups.com
> > Assunto: Re: {MEDSTATS} Re: "Basic and Applied Psychology" Bans The Use of
P Values and Confidence Intervals
> > Responder A: medstats em googlegroups.com
> >
> > Xi'an (aka Prof. Christian P. Robert) has just blogged about this, and
picked up on the fact that it is "inspired by a nihilistic anti-statistical
stance"...

https://xianblog.wordpress.com/2015/03/12/eliminating-an-important-obstacle-to-creative-thinking-statistics/

Atlantic
(http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/lies-damned-lies-and-medical-science/8269/),
November, 11, 1-10.
and [UTF-8?]he’s become one of the [UTF-8?]world’s foremost experts on the
credibility of medical research. He and his team have shown, again and again,
and in many different ways, that much of what biomedical researchers conclude
in published [UTF-8?]studies—conclusions that doctors keep in mind when they
prescribe antibiotics or blood-pressure medication, or when they advise us to
consume more fiber or less meat, or when they recommend surgery for heart
disease or back [UTF-8?]pain—is misleading, exaggerated, and often flat-out
wrong.

information that doctors rely on is flawed.

published in the [UTF-8?]field’s top journals, where it is heavily cited;
and he is a big draw at pervasively flawed, and so riddled with conflicts of
interest, that it might be chronically resistant to [UTF-8?]change—or even
to publicly admitting that [UTF-8?]there’s a [UTF-8?]problem.”

sizes associated with biomarkers reported in highly cited individual articles
and in subsequent meta-analyses. Journal of the American Medical Association,
305, 21, 2200-2210.
their professional statisticians is not necessarily having the desired effect?

Robinson, E.S.J., & Munafò, M.R. (2013). Power failure: why small sample size
undermines the reliability of neuroscience. Nature Reviews: Neuroscience, 14,
5, 365-376.
(and possibly most) of the conclusions drawn from biomedi­cal research are
probably [UTF-8?]false”

medical or social science students/researchers, the end result looks
depressingly similar. Might it be that NHST itself is the problem, as
suggested by others - those referenced in my previous email?

> >> The problem is not with the NHST methodology itself, but the frequent
lack of the implementation of any rigorous, prospective, experimental design
methodology, likely due to the [UTF-8?]“publish or [UTF-8?]die” pressures
that have coopted academic and other research, notably to produce research
with "significant" positive findings.

> >> This is one of the reasons that clinical trials now need to be
pre-registered on ClinicalTrials.gov or similar sites, in order to inhibit the
burying of studies with negative findings. Any reputable journal will now
refuse to publish a study unless it was pre-registered, before any subjects
are enrolled and the sponsors/PIs have obligations to publish at least some
primary results on the registration site.

> >> The last reference you point to regarding underpowered studies and small
sample sizes, which I am aware of and have used myself, suggests:

> >> From: http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v14/n5/full/nrn3475.html
> >>
> >> "Research that produces novel results, statistically significant results
(that is, typically p < 0.05) and seemingly 'clean' results is more likely to
be published. As a consequence, researchers have strong incentives to engage
in research practices that make their findings publishable quickly, even if
those practices reduce the likelihood that the findings reflect a true (that
is, non-null) effect."

> >> The authors of that paper, propose various approaches to reducing the
problem:

> >>   http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v14/n5/box/nrn3475_BX2.html
> >>
> >>   1. Perform an a priori power calculation
> >>   2. Disclose methods and findings transparently
> >>   3. Pre-register your study protocol and analysis plan
> >>   4. Make study materials and data available
> >>   5. Work collaboratively to increase power and replicate findings
> >>
> >> not one of which, BTW, is to discard NHST.
> >>
> >> As they reference in that paper, low powered studies are a waste of
resources, not only financial, but of subjects as well, arguably putting
subjects at risk, when there will be no scientific value to the research.
Underpowered studies also tend to inflate effect sizes.

> >> So, are you going to start restricting budgets and grants for improperly
designed studies. Will you require more rigorous reviews, including
statisticians, so that there is more money for properly designed research in
order to cover the costs associated with enrolling more subjects?

> >> Are you going to require competent statisticians be a co-author on a study?
> >>
> >> Are you going to require that a competent statistician is part of any
peer review process for a journal submission?

> >> This is what makes the BASP editorial and the solutions that they propose
absurd.

> >> As I noted in a prior reply to this thread, simply publishing descriptive
statistics is not the solution. You are not going to prevent skilled readers
from calculating confidence intervals and inferring p values from that data.

> >> They also proposed larger sample sizes, which is fine, but how do you get
there (how much larger?) and how do you fund studies that are going to be more
expensive as a result?

> >> I have heard criticisms of NHST, but I have yet to see a proposal for a
competent alternative.

> >> Yes, there are machine learning methods, that have largely evolved out of
computer science and not from classical statistics, that do not rely upon
NHST, but on the minimization of some measurement of error. However, they tend
to require much larger sample sizes. They are fine for applications such as
"big data", where NHST is indeed not appropriate. But, they have their own
limitations.

> >> So, what is the solution Paul?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Marc

Behalf Of Martin Bland
of P Values and Confidence Intervals

statisticians, as would be the case in medicine.

gross misinterpretations of statistics and poor planning of studies do not
occur psychological studies makes me wonder if there isn't something
inherently wrong with how we teach statistics to psychologists.

MedStats em googlegroups.com .

an email to medstats+unsubscribe em googlegroups.com.

solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based
upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender
if you believe you have received this email in error. Any views or opinions
expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of The University of York.
an email to medstats+unsubscribe em googlegroups.com.

an email to medstats+unsubscribe em googlegroups.com.

> >> --
> >> --
> >> To post a new thread to MedStats, send email to MedStats em googlegroups.com .
> >> MedStats' home page is http://groups.google.com/group/MedStats .
> >> Rules: http://groups.google.com/group/MedStats/web/medstats-rules
> >>
> >> ---
email to medstats+unsubscribe em googlegroups.com.

> > --
> > --
> > To post a new thread to MedStats, send email to MedStats em googlegroups.com .
> > MedStats' home page is http://groups.google.com/group/MedStats .
> > Rules: http://groups.google.com/group/MedStats/web/medstats-rules
> >
> > ---
email to medstats+unsubscribe em googlegroups.com.

Alexandra Mello Schmidt
Professor in Statistics
Departamento de Metodos Estatisticos
IM - Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Caixa Postal 68530 Rio de Janeiro - RJ
CEP:21.945-970 Brasil
Tel: 0055 21 3938 7505 Ramal (Extension) 240
Fax: 0055 21 3938 7374

www.dme.ufrj.br/~alex