[ABE-L] Palestra no Dep. de Estatística da UFBA em 15/04/16

Rodrigo Bulhões rsbulhoes em gmail.com
Sex Abr 8 08:58:57 -03 2016

Estimadas e Estimados,

O Departamento de Estatística da Universidade Federal da Bahia convida a
todos para prestigiar em seu Ciclo de Palestras o seminário do professor *Paulo
Henrique Ferreira da Silva*, do Departamento de Estatística do IM-UFBA.

*On the classical estimation of bivariate copula-based Seemingly Unrelated
Tobit models through the proposed inference function for augmented margins
method**(*)*

*Abstract* - This work performs the analysis of the bivariate Seemingly
Unrelated (SUR) Tobit by modeling its nonlinear dependence structure
through copula and assuming non-normal marginal error distributions. For
model estimation, the use of copula methods enables the use of the
(classical) Inference Function for Margins (IFM) method by Joe and Xu
(1996), which is more computationally attractive (feasible) than the full
maximum likelihood approach. However, our simulation study shows that the
IFM method provides a biased estimate of the copula parameter in the
presence of censored observations in both margins. In order to obtain an
unbiased estimate of the copula association parameter, we propose/develop a
modified version of the IFM method, which we refer to as Inference Function
for Augmented Margins (IFAM). Since the usual asymptotic approach, i.e. the
computation of the asymptotic covariance matrix of the parameter estimates,
is troublesome, we propose the use of resampling procedures (bootstrap
methods) to obtain confidence intervals for the copula-based SUR Tobit
model parameters. The satisfactory results from the simulation and
empirical studies indicate the adequate performance of our proposed model
and methods. We illustrate our procedure using bivariate data on
consumption of salad dressings and lettuce by U.S. individuals.

*(*)* Joint work with Francisco Louzada.