[ABE-L] Fw: Statistics in Google Sheets

Alexandra M. Schmidt alex em im.ufrj.br
Dom Fev 21 15:32:16 -03 2016

Caros Colegas,

Uma mensagem interessante do Steve Scott (Google) que, alias, estara' a
passando a semana em Belo Horizonte, participando do XIII EBEB
(http://www.redeabe.org.br/ebeb2016/paginas/xiii-ebeb)

Bom domingo!

Abs
Alexandra

From: steve.the.bayesian <steve.the.bayesian em gmail.com>
To: news em bayesian.org
Sent: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 17:11:02 -0500
Subject: Statistics in Google Sheets

I'm happy to announce a new "Statistics
" add-on for
Google Sheets (the spreadsheet component of Google docs).

The add-on provides statistics and data analysis functionality right in
Google Sheets, so you don't need to download your data to a separate
customized statistics application. It is designed to get you a full
statistical analysis of your data with very few clicks. You don't make a
histogram, then make a boxplot, then compute the mean and standard
deviation. Instead, you select the variables you want to analyze, and do
the analysis all at once.

The app focuses on descriptive statistics and regression modeling. When
paired with native spreadsheet support for hypothesis testing, this should
be enough to cover the material taught in a 1-2 semester introductory
statistics course. We plan to expand the modeling capabilities over time.
Time series and generalized linear models are both obvious next steps.

We hope the add-on proves useful to both the education and enterprise
domains.  The aim is to allow analysts to actually use at work what they
were taught at university.  We have paid special attention to privacy and
security. The back end computations are performed on secure Google servers,
so your data never leaves the Google ecosystem.  You can rely on the Google
Sheets permission system to decide who can see your data and your analysis.

You can install the app directly from the Google Sheets menu.

    1. Add-Ons ->
    2. Get Add-Ons ->
    3. Search for "Statistics"
    4. We're the one from "Google Statisticians and Engineers"

Or you can click this link

go directly to the app in the add-on store.

Finally, everyone involved in creating this app is a Googler, but it is not
an official Google product, so we don't have the Google marketing machine
at our disposal.  We need some help getting the word out.  If you know
someone who might be interested in this, please tweet, blog, or post about
us to your favorite social network.  Thanks!