[ABE-L] Palestra Rafael Moral, dia 21/3

Clarice Garcia Borges Demetrio clarice.demetrio em usp.br
Qui Mar 14 07:56:07 -03 2019

Data: 21/3, 14h
Coordenador: Idemauro Antonio Rodrigues de Lara

*Modelling ecological and evolutionary patterns in multivariate bird song
data*

*Rafael de Andrade Moral *

*National University of Ireland, Maynooth*

Biomusicology is the study of animal singing in biological populations. It
is an increasingly growing interdisciplinary area of science, especially as
a new branch of ecological studies. Sound traits such as frequency,
amplitude, period (among many others) can be used to study evolutionary and
ecological processes related to the emission and reception of acoustic
signals. Here, we jointly model the mean and dispersion of the fundamental
frequency of perching bird songs, to study the relationship between their
functional groups, or guilds, and evolutionary and ecological processes.
Our results suggest that modelling the mean alone would not reveal the
contribution of musical pitch variability to microevolutionary and
ecological processes of Neotropical perching birds. We discuss potential
implementation problems and present ideas and preliminary results of
multivariate modelling strategies.