[ABE-L] Seminário: Religion and rationality: Three empirical analyses, Francisco Cribari-Neto,

Silvia Ferrari silviaferrari.usp em gmail.com
Seg Maio 20 11:34:16 -03 2019

*Seminário - Modelos de Regressão e Aplicações*

*Título*: Religion and rationality: Three empirical analyses

*Palestrante*: Francisco Cribari-Neto, Departamento de Estatística, UFPE

*Quando*: 24 de maio de 2019, sexta-feira, às 11h.

*Onde*: Auditório Antônio Gilioli – Bloco A, segundo andar - IME-USP

*Resumo.* We examine the relationship between religious beliefs and
rationality (general intelligence). At the outset, using worldwide data we
measure the impact of changes in average intelligence on the prevalence of
religious disbelievers. Next, we focus on the United States (U.S.). We
measure such an impact both at the mean and at different quantiles of the
conditional distribution of the proportion of religious disbelievers using
data on all fifty U.S. states. The results show that the strength of the
net effect of intelligence on religious disbelief is strictly increasing,
i.e., it increases with average intelligence. This pattern is different
from that found using worldwide data in which the effect peaks and then
weakens. We also show that in the U.S. the effect is stronger outside what
we call the "Extended Bible Belt". Our results thus point to the existence
of a "hurdle effect" that only takes place the U.S. most religious area. In
that area, the effect of average intelligence on the prevalence of
religious disbelievers, albeit positive, loses strength above the
conditional median, i.e., where there already are more atheists. Such a
loss in strength above the conditional median does not happen in the
remainder of the country.