[ABE-L] COLMEA -=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_col=F3quio_interins?=titucional - 26 de novembro - CBPF

Maria Eulalia Vares eulalia em im.ufrj.br
Qua Nov 19 12:54:19 -03 2014

Caros colegas,

No dia 26 de novembro teremos mais uma edição do Colóquio Interinstitucional
"Modelos Estocásticos e Aplicações" (CBPF-IMPA-PUC-UFF-UFRJ) com a qual
fecharemos o ciclo 2014 do COLMEA.

Programa:

14:00-15:30h - Augusto Q. Teixeira (IMPA)
"Percolation and local isoperimetric inequalities"

15:40-17:00h - Fernando de Melo (CBPF)
"Open-system dynamics of entanglement"

17:00h - Discussão e lanche

Rua Xavier Sigaud, 150. Urca. Rio de Janeiro.

Informações mais completas sobre os colóquios anteriores podem ser encontradas em

http://www.im.ufrj.br/~coloquiomea/

O cartaz de divulgação estará disponível nos próximos dias.

Todos são muito bem vindos. Agradecemos também pela divulgação.

Atenciosamente,

o comitê organizador:  Augusto Q. Teixeira (IMPA), Evaldo M.F. Curado (CBPF),
Fábio D.A. Aarão Reis (UFF),  Maria Eulalia Vares (UFRJ), Mariane Branco
Alves (UFRJ), Patrícia Gonçalves (PUC-Rio), Stefan Zohren (PUC-Rio)

Resumos das palestras

Percolation and local isoperimetric inequalities
Augusto Q. Teixeira (IMPA)

In this talk we will discuss some relations between percolation on a given
graph G and its geometry. There are several intresting questions relating
various properties of G, such as growth or dimension, and the process of
percolation on G. In particular one could look for conditions under which the
critical percolation threshold p_c(G) is non-trivial, that is: p_c(G) is
strictly between zero and one. In a very importante paper on this subject,
Benjamini and Schramm asked whether it is true that for every graph satisfying
dim(G) > 1, one has p_c(G) < 1. We will explain this question in detail,
explaining what they meant by the dimension of a graph and we will present a
result that has recently been obtained in this direction.

Open-system dynamics of entanglement
Fernando de Melo (CBPF)

One of the greatest challenges in the fields of quantum information processing
and quantum technologies is the detailed coherent control over each and all of
the constituents of quantum systems with an ever increasing number of
particles. Within this endeavor, the harnessing of many-body entanglement
against the detrimental effects of the environment is a major and pressing
issue. Besides being an important concept from a fundamental standpoint,
entanglement has been recognized as a crucial resource for quantum speed-ups
or performance enhancements over classical methods. Understanding and
controlling many-body entanglement in open systems may have strong
implications in quantum computing, quantum simulations of many-body systems,
quantum cryptography, quantum metrology, our understanding of the
quantum-to-classical transition, and other important questions of quantum
foundations.

In this seminar entanglement will be taken as a dynamic quantity on its own,
that evolves due to the unavoidable interaction of the entangled system with
its surroundings. I will introduce the main aspects of entanglement dynamics
in open quantum systems, portraying its richness and complexity. After setting
the stage, I will present two different approaches two deal with entanglement
dynamics: First, for bipartite systems I'll present a deterministic dynamical
equation for entanglement. Second, in order to cope with many-body systems,
I'll resort to a statistical description of typical entanglement dynamics. The
latter relies solely on geometrical aspects of the space of states.

--
Maria Eulalia Vares
Departamento de Métodos Estatísticos