[ABE-L] Fw: IASE updates and Calls - Statistics Education, Jan 2015

Lisbeth Cordani lisbethk em terra.com.br
Seg Jan 19 16:06:40 -03 2015

-----Mensagem Original-----
From: iddo em research.haifa.ac.il
Subject: IASE updates and Calls - Statistics Education, Jan 2015

Dear colleagues / Statistics Education community.

Here are several updates and Calls from the International Association for
Statistical
Education (IASE). The info below may be of interest, especially if you plan
to be in Rio
de Janeiro (you should!) either for the World Statistics Congress (WSC60,
July 26-31,
2014) or the IASE Satellite conference before it, July 22-24, 2015. Also,
see the last
item about an exciting new MOOC about training of teachers of statistics.

1. Submission of Contributed papers & Posters for WSC60 is possible until
Feb 13, 2015.
Share your work!

2. If you plan to come to Rio, why not also participate at or submit a
proposal for a
Paper or Poster for the IASE Satellite, which will take place right next to
Copacabana
Beach in Rio, July 22-24, 2015? *Submission deadline for the Satellite has
been extended =
Jan 30, 2015*. See the Satellite website for our evolving plans:
http://iase-web.org/conference/satellite15 and contact details.

3. New feature at the WSC60: ISI is organizing Lunch Roundtable Discussions!
Deadlines for
proposals has been extended till 26 January 2015. Please submit ASAP via the
WSC60
website: http://www.isi2015.org. This enables you to bring together
interested colleagues
from the statistics education community, and promote an intimate dialogue on
important
challenges we face, conceptual, pedagogical, technological, etc. If you want
help in
shaping your proposal, let me know ASAP!

4.  World Bank financial support for delegates from developing countries for
attending
WSC60 in Rio: *New Deadline = Jan 30, 2015*. Details at: www.isi-web.org,
under "60th ISI
WSC 2015 in Rio... ". This is open for people who will present a paper at
WSC60 (invited
or contributed), and if you are approved, you can also attend a Satellite
meeting before
it!. If you are an IASE member as well, please let us know and we can
provide a letter of
support, as explained on the ISI website. However  the application itself is
only via the
ISI web form: http://www.isi-web.org/index.php?option=com_rsform&formId=52.

5. A new MOOC on *Teaching Statistics Through Data Investigations*!. Our
colleague, Prof.
Hollylynne Lee Stohl (North Carolina State University, USA) has announced
that the Friday
Institute at NC State has developed MOOC-ED (Massive Open Online Course for
Educators),
designed to develop the pedagogy and content understanding for *teachers* of
statistics
(pre-service, practicing, college-level teaching assistants, teacher
educators). There are
many choices and options for teachers to focus their learning around content
that they
teach, in middle school, high school, and Introductory college or AP levels.
     The course will launch *March 9th, 2015* and run for 8 weeks.
Registration is FREE
and there is an opportunity for practicing teachers to earn continuing
education credits,
or work in teams to complete the course together. Also, if you teach a
course (or a part
of a course) on "teaching methods" for teaching statistics, check out the
MOOC-Ed to gain
additional resources and ideas.
    For more details go here: http://www.mooc-ed.org/tsdi. At that website,
you can enter
your email address to receive course notifications. Spread the word!

6. Keep your eyes open for a special "Call for Resources" from the IASE
Executive that
will be circulated in a few weeks - we hope to enrich and update the
collections of
resources on the IASE and ISLP websites, with a focus on specific target
areas of high
priority. Details will follow. (The MOOC mentioned above is an example for
the kind of new
international resources we hope to showcase and help to simplify access to
via a
centralized facility, as a service to our members).

Have a good 2015, and thanks for your support!

~~ Iddo

Iddo Gal, President, International Association for Statistical Education
(IASE)
       Jan 19, 2015