[ABE-L] Fwd: Fw: ASA Statement Released Today

Pedro Luis do Nascimento Silva pedronsilva em gmail.com
Seg Mar 7 16:09:23 -03 2016

Colegas,

Para ciência e reflexão. Saudações, Pedro.

ASA Statement Released Today

<http://www.amstat.org>

  ASA Statement Released Today

Dear Ms. Krimpen,

Today, the American Statistical Association Board of Directors issued a
statement on *p*-values and statistical significance. We intend the
statement, developed over many months in consultation with a large panel of
experts, to draw renewed and vigorous attention to changing research
practices that have contributed to a reproducibility crisis in science.

"Widespread use of 'statistical significance' (generally interpreted as '*p*
< 0.05') as a license for making a claim of a scientific finding (or
implied truth) leads to considerable distortion of the scientific process,"
says the ASA statement (in part). By putting the authority of the world's
largest community of statisticians behind such a statement, we seek to
begin a broad-based discussion of how to more effectively and appropriately
use statistical methods as part of the scientific reasoning process.

In short, we envision a new era, in which the broad scientific community
recognizes what statisticians have been advocating for many years. In this
"post *p* < .05 era," the full power of statistical argumentation in all
its nuance will be brought to bear to advance science, rather than making
decisions simply by reducing complex models and methods to a single number
and its relationship to an arbitrary threshold. This new era would be
marked by radical change to how editorial decisions are made regarding what
is publishable, removing the temptation to inappropriately hunt for
statistical significance as a justification for publication. In such an
era, every aspect of the investigative process would have its appropriate
weight in the ultimate decision about the value of a research contribution.

Is such an era beyond reach? We think not, but we need your help in making
sure this opportunity is not lost.

The statement
<http://amstat.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00031305.2016.1154108#.Vt2Osua8Q2c>
is available freely online to all at *The American Statistician* Latest
Articles website
<http://amstat.tandfonline.com/action/showAxaArticles?journalCode=utas20>.
You'll find an introduction that describes the reasons for developing the
statement and the process by which it was developed. You'll also find a
rich set of discussion papers commenting on various aspects of the
statement and related matters.

*This is the first time the ASA has spoken so publicly about a fundamental
part of statistical theory and practice. We urge you to share this
statement with appropriate colleagues and spread the word via social media.
We also urge you to share your comments about the statement with the ASA
Community via ASA Connect <http://community.amstat.org/home>.* Of course,
you are more than welcome to email your comments directly to us at
*ron em amstat.org* <ron em amstat.org>.

On behalf of the ASA Board of Directors, thank you!

Sincerely,

Jessica Utts
President
American Statistical Association