[ABE-L] Coronavirus

Clarice Garcia Borges Demetrio clarice.demetrio em usp.br
Dom Mar 15 17:44:20 -03 2020

The New York Times had an article on Friday (link below) that included
visualizations of the results of epidemiological models, like those Andrew
was talking about in the stats reading group during the week. Anyone
interested in learning more about these kinds of models and how to
visualize and interact with them? There may be some tough decisions for the
government to take in the coming months, as they try to balance economic
harm with control of the pandemic. E.g. what would be the impact on the
virus spread if there were periods of lock down to interrupt it
interspersed with periods of return to normality? What would be the impact
of localized actions guided by more widespread testing with short
turnaround time? (new tests are in development) These, and other possible
future options, would probably require going beyond the standard SIR models
(as far as I know). If we can do the modeling and, more importantly, come
up with tools for policymakers to interact with the results of the models
it could be useful.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-trump-response.html