[ABE-L] Seminário de Probabilidade - IM-UFRJ - 16 de agosto

Maria Eulalia Vares eulalia em im.ufrj.br
Ter Ago 10 21:22:21 -03 2021

*Probability Webinar -   IM-UFRJ *

Dear colleagues,

Our next online seminar will be held on Monday, *August 16, * from *3 p.m.
to 4 p.m*. (Rio de Janeiro local time)

The GoogleMeet link for the seminar is https://meet.google.com/uew-ehhn-kby

Speaker:   *Jefferson Elbert Simões (DIA/UNIRIO)*

Title: *Local Symmetry in Erdős–Rényi Graphs*

Abstract:   Real-world networks are often understood as being symmetrical,
meaning that vertices can be found which perform similar or equivalent
structural roles (such as hubs from different communities in social
networks, or functional regions in neuronal networks). These roles are
usually associated with their topological placement relative to its
surroundings; however, traditional mathematical formulations of graph
symmetry are based on automorphism groups, which depend fundamentally on
global structure and do not account for similarities in local structures.
In this work, we introduce the concept of local symmetry, which reflects
the structural equivalence of vertices' egonets while generalizing
classical conceptualizations of symmetry such as automorphism and
isomorphism. We also study the emergence of local asymmetry in Erdős–Rényi
graphs, identifying regimes of both asymptotic local symmetry and
asymptotic local asymmetry. We find that local symmetry persists at least
to an average degree of n^{1/3} and local asymmetry emerges at an average
degree not greater than n^{1/2}, which are regimes of much larger average
degree than for traditional, global asymmetry.

Joint work with Daniel Figueiredo (COPPE/UFRJ) and Valmir Barbosa
(COPPE/UFRJ).

All the talks are held in English.

The videos of the online seminars are available:

2020 -  http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=2885

2021-1  - http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=3027

For the second semester, a few days after each meeting the video should be
available at http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=3178

Thanks for circulating this information.

Sincerely,
Organizers: Guilherme Ost and Maria Eulalia Vares