[ABE-L] Próximo seminário (online) de probabilidade - 21/06

Maria Eulalia Vares eulalia em im.ufrj.br
Seg Jun 14 23:36:59 -03 2021

*Probability Webinar -   IM-UFRJ *

Dear colleagues,

Our next online seminar will be held on Monday, *June 21, * from *3 p.m. to
4 p.m*. (Rio de Janeiro local time)

The GoogleMeet link for the seminar is https://meet.google.com/uew-ehhn-kby

Speaker:   *Guilherme Reis  (UFBA)*

Title: The Ant Random Walk

Abstract:  The Ant RW belongs to the class of random walks with
reinforcement.  Our goal is to observe through this stochastic process the
ant mill phenomenon: the walker is eventually trapped in a circuit of the
graph which will be followed forever. In recent work we show that this
phenomenon can be observed with weaker assumptions in the reinforcement
function. Ours inspiration is the ant mill phenomenon in which a group of
army ants are separated from the main group, lose the pheromone track and
begin to follow one another, forming a continuously rotating circle. The
ants are not able to go back home and will eventually die of exhaustion as
we can see in the video "Why army ants get trapped in ‘death circles’" on
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKwQxO4EZU .

Works in collaboration with Dirk Erhard and Tertuliano Franco.

All the talks are held in English.

The videos of the online seminars held in 2020 are available at
http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=2885

For the 2021 series, a few days after each meeting the video should be
available at http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=3027

Thanks for circulating this information.

Sincerely,
Organizers: Guilherme Ost and Maria Eulalia Vares