[ABE-L] Próximo seminário de probabilidade - IM-UFRJ - 24 de janeiro

Maria Eulalia Vares eulalia em im.ufrj.br
Ter Jan 18 15:29:31 -03 2022

*Probability Seminar -   IM-UFRJ *

Dear colleagues,

Our next seminar will be held on Monday, *January 24, * from *3 p.m. to 4
p.m*. (Rio de Janeiro local time)

The GoogleMeet link for the seminar is https://meet.google.com/pmb-wxav-opv

Speaker:  *Siamak Taati* *(American University of Beirut)*

Title: *Probabilistic cellular automata with Bernoulli invariant measures*

Abstract:  I will sketch a proof of the following result: If a
positive-rate probabilistic cellular automaton has a Bernoulli invariant
measure, then it is ergodic, meaning that its distribution starting from
any configuration converges (exponentially fast) to that Bernoulli
measure.  The same result holds for (continuous-time) interacting particle
systems.  The proof is based on the entropy method, but unlike the usual
entropy arguments, does not require the shift-invariance of the starting
measure.  This result has a practical implication concerning the
inevitability of heat dissipation in computers which I will briefly
discuss.  This is a joint work with Irène Marcovici.

All the talks are held in English.

More complete information about the seminars will be available at

http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=2438

Those who do not wish to receive our next announcements may simply send an
email to  <eulalia em im.ufrj.br>  asking to be removed from the list.

Thanks for circulating this information.

Sincerely,

Organizers: Giulio Iacobelli and Maria Eulalia Vares