[ABE-L] ISBA Fellowship

Hedibert Lopes hedibert em gmail.com
Qua Jul 6 09:27:12 -03 2022

Gostaria de dividir minha felicidade em alcançar essa honraria da sociedade estatística que representa a maioria de nós estatísticos Bayesianos em seus mais variados tons de cinza.    Replico abaixo o que escrevi do fundo do coração na manhã seguinte à premiação.  Abraços a todos e sigamos nosso trabalho de formiguinha.

“I have just been elected an International Society of Bayesian Analysis (ISBA) Fellow: The first Brazilian!  I’ve been very lucky to have been exposed to the Bayesian thinking early on in my undergraduate and masters in statistics at UFRJ with Hélio Migon.  Then during my PhD years at Duke with Mike West and Peter Müller.  All that happened around the time where Bayesian computation exploded, late 80s to late 90s, when Bayesianity started to become practically feasible in all areas of applied sciences and being a Bayesian wasn’t a risky decision any longer.   Ajax Moreira, Dani Gamerman, Giovanni Parmigiani, Robert McCulloch, Nick Polson, and many others have been fundamental throughout my career up to now.  I cannot  forget to mention Paulo Bravo and Angela Rocha whose inspiration and support helped a humble and shy (and tall) kid, from the slums of Cidade Alta, Rio de Janeiro, find resilience to study statistics  and continue into the research world.”