[ABE-L] Fwd: Sad news about Iain Currie

'Clarice Garcia Borges Demetrio' via abe-l@ime.usp.br abe-l em ime.usp.br
Sex Maio 27 08:36:23 -03 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Paul Eilers <p.eilers em erasmusmc.nl>
Date: Thu, May 26, 2022 at 3:43 PM
Subject: Sad news about Iain Currie
To: Paul Eilers <p.eilers em erasmusmc.nl>

Dear friends and colleagues,

Again I have to bring you very sad  news. On Tuesday May 24, Iain Currie
died from cancer. We lost an eminent statistician and a very nice person.

Iain was a constant force in the IWSM (International Workshop on
Statistical Modelling) community since 1999. He contributed a lot to the
theory and practice of P-splines and especially in the field of mortality
modelling. He also was a strong advocate for them, as we can see in his
blogs on
https://www.longevitas.co.uk/site/informationmatrix/index.html?tag=P-splines.
His latest entry there is less than three months old.

Iain was a wonderful person to work with. We learned a lot from him. He
combined a razor-sharp mind with a critical attitude and good humor. We
will dearly miss his insightful comments and his warm “hahaha”.

With my best regards,

Paul