[ABE-L] Associação Estatística e matérias de interesse público

Doris Fontes dsfontes em gmail.com
Ter Jul 3 16:15:57 -03 2018

COMPARTILHANDO

When should the ASA make a public statement on an issue?
By Ronald L. Wasserstein
<http://community.amstat.org/people/ronald-wasserstein> posted 06-23-2017
10:10

0 Recommend

One of the common complaints I heard when I became executive director in
2007 was “no one listens to us.”  The “us” referred to statisticians in
general and the ASA in particular.  My response was, “That’s because we
never say anything.”  However, coinciding with my hiring, the ASA Board
created the Director of Science Policy
<http://www.amstat.org/ASA/Science-Policy-and-Advocacy/home.aspx> position. The
world’s largest organization of statisticians has been much more vocal
since.

We want to speak when we have something important to say.  How do we decide
when that is?  More specifically, how should ASA leadership decide when to
publicly engage in a matter through an official statement
<https://www.amstat.org/ASA/Science-Policy-and-Advocacy/ASA-Board-Statements.aspx?hkey=0b8ad910-0378-46bb-b998-6ebb36a34d08>
?  At its April meeting, the ASA Board took up this question.

After a spirited and collegial discussion, the Board decided we should ask
ourselves these questions:

·        Does the issue have impact on the statistics profession or on the
ASA itself?

·        Does this issue have impact on the quality or integrity of science
or on the ability to inform public policy?

·        Is there an opportunity to educate about statistics or is there a
statistical perspective on this issue that we should speak to?

·        In our judgment, would our members expect us to be involved in the
issue?

·        Does the issue relate to possible infringement on scientific
freedom or human/civil rights?

We talked about but did not settle on a method for “scoring” our responses
to these questions.  That is, we didn’t weight the questions or answers, or
decide that we must answer any certain number of them in the affirmative.
However, we agreed we should consider these questions when deciding whether
to make a public statement on an issue.

What do you think?  Are these the right questions?  What else should we be
asking?

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful responses.

Livre
de vírus. www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>