[ABE-L] Fwd: APPLY: The Alan Turing Institute Data Study Group | 16-20 April | Deadline 11 March

Basilio de Bragança Pereira basilio em hucff.ufrj.br
Ter Mar 6 09:07:43 -03 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shana Tufail <stufail em turing.ac.uk>
Date: 2018-03-06 6:56 GMT-03:00
Subject: APPLY: The Alan Turing Institute Data Study Group | 16-20 April |
Deadline 11 March
To: allstat em jiscmail.ac.uk

APPLY: Turing Data Study Group | 16-20 April | Deadline 11 March

We’re recruiting PhD students, postdocs and other early career researchers
for our April Data Study Group with Accenture. It would be fantastic if you
could the email below with your networks and disseminate to students and
researchers (or somewhere where they will see it). You should be able to
copy and paste the text below.

-------

APPLY: Turing Data Study Group | 16-20 April | Deadline 11 March

I am delighted to share with you the next Data Study Group which will be
held at The Alan Turing Institute from 16 to 20 April 2018. Please Apply
Deadline: Sunday 11 March 23:59 GMT.

Data Study Groups bring together researchers, data practitioners, and
industry representatives from leading organisations to work together on
data science challenges posed by partner organisations in
multi-disciplinary teams, enabling researchers to build collaborations and
work with real-world industry datasets.

In April we will host the following challenges, curated in collaboration
with Accenture, and selecting from their broad range of clients:

•    Fairness in algorithmic decision making (Accenture)
•    Monitoring online violence against high profile individuals (Amnesty
International)
•    Understanding and predicting the development of vulnerable children
for an international NGO (Plan International)
•    Machine learning for predicting and mitigating operational risk
(provided by a global bank)
•    Improving models of customer behaviour and loyalty with fine scale
customer usage data (provided by a broadcast media company)
•    Predicting speech and language recovery post-stroke (PLORAS project,
UCL)

The application form asks for your technical experience and your experience
working in collaborative groups. We have a very wide definition of both so
please be creative in your answers. If you think you can help our partners
to answer these important questions, we want to hear from you!

For more information please visit http://bit.ly/2BO0S5y.

The Institute will cover travel expenses (up to £200) and accommodation,
and provide food and drink throughout the week.

The Alan Turing Institute is committed to increasing the representation of
female, black and minority ethnic, LGBTQ+, disabled and neuroatypical
researchers in data science. We believe the best solutions to challenges
result when a diverse team work together to share and benefit from the
different facets of their experience. If you have any questions, you can
reach out to Dr Kirstie Whitaker at kwhitaker em turing.ac.uk, particularly if
you are unsure about your qualifications or suitability for membership of
the Data Study Group.

Please share this announcement with any of your colleagues who might be
interested in joining.

Best wishes,

Sebastian Vollmer on behalf of the Data Study Group executive team

SIGNOFF allstat

to listserv em jiscmail.ac.uk, leaving the subject line blank.

--
Basilio de Bragança Pereira,MSc and DL(COPPE) DIC and PhD(Imperial
College).

http://buscatextual.cnpq.br/buscatextual/visualizacv.do?id=K4783624H9
<http://buscatextual.cnpq.br/buscatextual/visualizacv.do?id=K4783624H9>
http://www.poscardio.ufrj.br/index.php/pt-BR/
http://www.coppe.ufrj.br/pt-br/programas/engenharia-de-producao

*Mail Address:
Programa de Engenharia de Produção -
COPPE/UFRJ - Caixa Postal 68507
CEP 21941-972 Rio de Janeiro,RJ
Brazil

The best thing about being a statistician is that you get to play in
everyone´s backyard (John Tukey)
. <http://www.azquotes.com/quote/603405>
O artista vê a verdade no belo , o cientista vê o belo na verdade.