[ABE-L] Fwd: Brazilian journal rankings – can you help SIAM address an issue in Brazil?

Pedro Alberto Morettin pam em ime.usp.br
Qua Out 21 12:38:36 -03 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
De: Gabriel Haeser <ghaeser em ime.usp.br>
Date: qua., 21 de out. de 2020 às 12:21
Subject: Fwd: Brazilian journal rankings – can you help SIAM address an
issue in Brazil?
To: BolsasPQ <BolsasPQ_CA_MA_CNPq em googlegroups.com>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kivmars Bowling <bowling em siam.org>
Date: Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:49 AM
Subject: Brazilian journal rankings – can you help SIAM address an issue in
Brazil?
To: <ghaeser em ime.usp.br>

Dear Dr. Haeser,

Please allow me to introduce myself – I’m Kivmars Bowling, Publications
Director here at SIAM. I’m writing here to make you aware of an issue in
Brazil around journal rankings and to see if you would be able to co-sign
the attached letter SIAM will be sending.

Recently, SIAM became aware that the Mathematics panel at CNPq has made
changes in the journal classification system. Brazilian researchers have
raised concerns that this new system appears to have downgraded SIAM
journals in a way that is not accurate based on the journal quality.
Furthermore, some SIAM journals do not even appear within the new
classification table.

To address this issue, SIAM will be sending the attached letter to the
Mathematics panel at CNPq to request the SIAM journals be reevaluated in a
way that more accurately reflects their high quality and high standing.

The following individuals have already agreed to co-sign the letter –

•                 Pablo Domingues (UFPe), President of SBMAC (Sociedade
Brasileira de Matemática Aplicada e Computacional)

•                 Helena Lopes (UFRJ)

•                 Dan Marchesin (IMPA)

•                 André Nachbin, (IMPA)

•                 Carlos Tomei (PUC)

* Would you be willing to also co-sign the attached letter? *Adding your
voice to the letter will strengthen its impact and hopefully ensure that
applied mathematics is given the appropriate recognition and rankings.

* Please let me know by October 28th if you are willing to co-sign. *

If you are not able to co-sign, it would still be useful to hear any
feedback you have on this issue, including whether you support our efforts
to address it. SIAM is very proud to have so many close connections to
Brazilian mathematics and we want to ensure the field can grow further in
Brazil and that researchers like you are supported.

We look forward to your reply and of course let me know if you have any
questions,

Kind regards,

Kivmars Bowling

*Kivmars Bowling*