[ABE-L] próximo seminário (online) de probabilidade do IM-UFRJ - 8 de março

Maria Eulalia Vares eulalia em im.ufrj.br
Qui Mar 4 08:38:22 -03 2021

*Probability Webinar -   IM-UFRJ *

Dear colleagues,

Our next online seminar will be held on Monday, *March 8*, from *3 p.m. to
4 p.m*. (Rio de Janeiro local time)

The GoogleMeet link for the seminar is  https://meet.google.com/uew-ehhn-kby

Speaker:   *Giulio Iacobelli (IM-UFRJ)*

Title: *Random walk based algorithms for generating uniform spanning trees*

Abstract: The task of efficiently generating uniform spanning trees of a
graph has received much attention. A breakthrough came with Aldous-Broder
and Wilson's algorithms, which can efficiently generate spanning trees
based on random walks. In this work, we study the transient behavior of
both algorithms. We introduce the notion of branches, which are paths
generated by the two algorithms on particular stopping times. This
interpretation is used to show a transient equivalence between the two
algorithms on complete graphs. This equivalence yields a hybrid approach to
generate uniform spanning trees of complete graphs faster than either of
the two algorithms. We also propose a two-stage framework to explore this
hybrid approach beyond complete graphs, showing its feasibility in some
examples.

All the talks are held in English.

The videos of the online seminars held in 2020 are available at
http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=2885

For the 2021 series, a few days after each meeting the video should be
available at http://www.dme.ufrj.br/?page_id=3027

Thanks for circulating this information.

Sincerely,
Organizers: Guilherme Ost and Maria Eulalia Vares

p.s. O seminário do Prof. Giulio estava inicialmente marcado para o dia
14/12/2020, mas houve um problema com a internet.

Livre
de vírus. www.avast.com
<#m_9085010469814730087_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>