[ABE-L] Fwd: Profoundly sad news

Mariana Curi mcuri em icmc.usp.br
Qui Abr 28 18:53:17 -03 2022

Caros,
Repasso o comunicado do ITC com uma triste notícia. Grande perda para a
Psicometria.
Abs,
Mariana

---------- Forwarded message ---------
De: International Test Commission <secretary em intestcom.org>
Date: qui., 28 de abr. de 2022 às 15:06
Subject: Profoundly sad news
To: <mcuri em icmc.usp.br>

<https://click.mlsend.com/link/c/YT0xOTM4NjI3MjgxNjA1ODkyODcyJmM9bDNtOCZlPTAmYj05NjI3Mzk5MDQmZD1jNmE3aTFl.XW844IUCreKiQTxvv2yJrCUxnDV5U41OfZLUGFuTs5Y>

Dear valued Members of the ITC,

It is with profound sadness that I give the news that Ron Hambleton, one of
the giants in the field of educational measurement, passed away this
morning.

Ron was a great friend and mentor to so many of us, and made more
contributions to educational measurement than perhaps anyone in our short
history. Although best known for his pioneering work in item response
theory, Distinguished Professor Hambleton made significant contributions to
criterion-referenced testing, cross-lingual assessment,
computerized-adaptive testing, test development, standard setting, and
differential item functioning; among many other areas. He was President of
NCME, the International Test Commission, and Division 5 of APA; and had won
Career Awards from all these organizations as well as from the Association
of Test Publishers. He was also a Fellow of APA and AERA, and a member of
the National Academy of Education. Ron founded the Research, Educational
Measurement, and Psychometrics program at the University of Massachusetts
Amherst where he served as advisor and mentor to many of whom are now
leaders in the educational measurement field. However, he was a role model
and mentor to so many more than UMass students and alumni.

So many of us credit Ron for supporting our careers and for the many
contributions he made not just to measurement, but to our personal lives.
Ron was passionate about measurement, and passionate about life. He was
inspiring and cared deeply about people. He always said he couldn’t believe
he got paid for what he did, because he enjoyed it so much.

He was more than a great psychometrician—he was a great person.

For those of you who would like to make a donation in Ron’s memory, the
Hambleton Legacy Fund, which supports UMass graduate student assistantships
and travel, can be found at this link:
https://minutefund.umass.edu/project/6373/donate?des_id=111492
<https://click.mlsend.com/link/c/YT0xOTM4NjI3MjgxNjA1ODkyODcyJmM9bDNtOCZlPTAmYj05NjI3Mzk5MDkmZD15OGg1aDlq.gXKh6CYw-1g8wiLommshUBH3l4K3lhLJ98dEPX6BMyQ>
.

More importantly however, We encourage you also to raise a glass in his
honor and remember his warm, supportive spirit that touched so many of us
and made the educational measurement world a better place.

Yours sincerely
ITC Council

<https://click.mlsend.com/link/c/YT0xOTM4NjI3MjgxNjA1ODkyODcyJmM9bDNtOCZlPTAmYj05NjI3Mzk5MTUmZD11NnU3YTB5.Juik3VKJmb_pIREKvGJgKvAFWsPhPU6h8wPoxxZ4IZ8>
International Test Commission
<https://click.mlsend.com/link/c/YT0xOTM4NjI3MjgxNjA1ODkyODcyJmM9bDNtOCZlPTAmYj05NjI3Mzk5MTkmZD1wN2Q1dzRt.R0xP3KjA5M8wO5LHyCMWiW5ARvWPu5lv-tZiz2-N4zc>

The Coach House 77A Marlowes
Hemel Hempstead
United Kingdom
<https://click.mlsend.com/link/c/YT0xOTM4NjI3MjgxNjA1ODkyODcyJmM9bDNtOCZlPTAmYj05NjI3Mzk5MjMmZD1qOWI3dzZw.hYG9fJiS7tpArwHEAhgm2BpQUDprsYN_4eaf57rDqC4>
12-15 December 2022
The ITC 13th Conference
<https://click.mlsend.com/link/c/YT0xOTM4NjI3MjgxNjA1ODkyODcyJmM9bDNtOCZlPTAmYj05NjI3Mzk5MjcmZD1lM2QxazRt.MAiYh4FTj5L9rbsxE3B27JX69oNARS1KyddeF9XVVXY>

Advancing diversity, equity and inclusion: Opportunities and challenges
towards culturally responsive assessment

Unsubscribe
<https://click.mlsend.com/link/c/YT0xOTM4NjI3MjgxNjA1ODkyODcyJmM9bDNtOCZlPTAmYj05NjI3NDAxNDYmZD15NGIybjJm.qseI8qiGl1ZT4G52zfpxMDLaTCoFROLyG1ALsbKyksE>
[image: Sent by MailerLite]
<https://click.mlsend.com/link/c/YT0xOTM4NjI3MjgxNjA1ODkyODcyJmM9bDNtOCZlPTAmYj05NjI3Mzk5MzEmZD1lMHM1bjFt.r8hFRNWwuOkv43G1nm_ei42Q0yZ0hXosxpJWveOdQvI>