[ABE-L] Fwd: Seminário Ence: Providing better workforce preparation through experiential learning classes that promote collaboration and consulting

Denise Britz do Nascimento Silva denisebritz em gmail.com
Qui Mar 19 19:02:39 -03 2015

Caros
segue divulgação de seminário do Prof. John Bailer na ENCE.

Todos bem bem-vindos!
Abraços
Denise
------------------------------

*Escola Nacional de Ciências Estatísticas - **Seminário Ence*

*A ENCE tem o prazer de convidar para a palestra:*
 *Providing better workforce preparation through experiential learning
classes that promote collaboration and consulting*

  Palestrante
*John Bailer*
Professor e Chefe do Departamento de Estatística da Universidade de Miami
Vice -presidente do International Statistic Institute

Dia: *23/03/2015** – segunda-feira*
Horário: *18:00-19:00 horas*

*Resumo: *Genuine statistical collaboration and consulting experiences in
the curriculum provide service learning opportunities where students can
integrate community service into course content. They are also experiential
learning opportunities where students engage with direct experience to
increase knowledge and develop skills. Finally, these experience can
provide a natural capstone to a degree program in statistics.  In this
talk, I will describe why these experiences are important, how this was
implemented in the past, what are present and evolving practices and
reflect on the value of this experience for students. I will provide a
context for promoting these experiences based on recent revised guidelines
for undergraduate statistics degrees and learning outcomes for masters
degrees in statistics. I will illustrate the implementation of these ideas
with data practicum and data visualization courses at Miami University.