[ABE-L] Criando mais conflito .

Basilio de Braganca Pereira basiliopereira em gmail.com
Dom Mar 29 15:42:52 -03 2015

Gauss
Já que você mesmo fala que publicações em Estatística Aplicada sao mais
citadas que Estatística e Probabilidade, isto não é sinal que os órgãos de
fomento e comitês devem levar isso em consideração?.
Vale lembrar o discurso de Henry Daniels como presidente da RSS (JRSS A
1975 n 1)

"The concept of "training for research" which underlies the PhD system and
the Research Coucils' support for it, is a curious  one. It surely cannot
mean training people to have original ideas - that is impossible. It can
only mean trainig them in the use of thecniques and equipment (in our case
a computer and perhaps passing on a few hints on how to organize their
thinking. It has little to do with university´s requirement that the thesis
shall contain original work by the candidate. Original work in the context
of a statistics department means an advance in statistical theory , however
trivial. Unless the student has outstanding research ability , his
supervisior has some-how to produce a theoretical problem which is not too
difificult and them lay a trail of clues for the next two years. I cannot
see how this benefit anyone , least of all the average student who often
loses what capability he ever had for independent thought. It also tend to
produce the kind of published paper we could do without.
On the other hand an ingenuous application of know statistical technique to
a practical problem might be much more worthwhile and rewarding. yet an
examiner may reject the thesis because  it contains nothing "new". One way
around the difficulty is to arrange that for the average student the PhD is
registered jointly between the statistics department and some other
department providing the practical problem. To that department the
application is original. Of course there has to be evidence of more than
just an unimaginative use of
routine methods , there is always the questin of how much was contributed
by the supervisor , but given an oral examination the problem is not
insuperable."

Note que Daniels foi supervisor de David Cox , Jim Durbin , Walter Smith
entre outros e deve saber o que estava falando

Basilio