[ABE-L] procaçoes acadêmicas

Neale El-Dash neale.eldash em gmail.com
Qui Out 23 09:06:32 -03 2014

Esse é  realmente um problema sério quando se faz pesquisa em pontos de
fluxo. Imagino que era o Datafolha,  correto?

A maioria ja deve ter ouvido essa estoria, mas acho esse o melhor exemplo
de "auto selecao"  (em ingles e deixando clara as suposicoes):

During WWII, statistician Abraham Wald was asked to help the British decide
where to add armor to their bombers. After analyzing the records, he
recommended adding more armor to the places where there was no damage!

This seems backward at first, but Wald realized his data came from bombers
that survived. That is, the British were only able to analyze the bombers
that returned to England; those that were shot down over enemy territory
were not part of their sample. These bombers’ wounds showed where they
could afford to be hit. Said another way, the undamaged areas on the
survivors showed where the lost planes must have been hit because the
planes hit in those areas did not return from their missions.

Wald assumed that the bullets were fired randomly, that no one could
accurately aim for a particular part of the bomber. Instead they aimed in
the general direction of the plane and sometimes got lucky. So, for
example, if Wald saw that more bombers in his sample had bullet holes in
the middle of the wings, he did *not* conclude that Nazis liked to aim for
the middle of wings. He assumed that there must have been about as many
bombers with bullet holes in every other part of the plane but that those
with holes elsewhere were not part of his sample because they had been shot
down.

Neale