[ABE-L] Quantis

Luiz Download luizdownload em gmail.com
Qua Set 3 13:29:59 -03 2014

Oho! Eu sabia que havia diferentes métodos, mas nunca imaginei que eram
tantos!! Lisbeth, muito obrigado pelo material.
A definição que me pareceu a escolha do autor foi a seguinte:

*DEFINITION 2*: A *P*th percentile value is a number which puts at least *P*
percent of the data values at that number or below and at least (100 - *P*)
percent of the data values at that number or above. If more than one such
number exists, there will be an entire interval of such and we choose the
*P*th percentile value to be the midpoint of that interval.

The question remains, how are such values to be found? We claim that it is
the CDF Method 4 which does the job. That the CDF Method meets the
definition for all percentiles is not totally obvious and we include a
proof for completeness.

*THEOREM*: *The CDF Method 4 provides the P**th percentile value for all
possible values of P.*

*METHOD 4 (“CDF”)*: The *P*th percentile value is found as follows.
Calculate *np*. If *np* is an integer, then the *P*th percentile value is
the average of #(*np*) and #(*np* + 1). If *np* is not an integer, the *P*th
percentile value is ; that is, we *round up*. Alternatively, one can look
at #(*np* + 0.5) and *round off* unless it is half an odd integer, in which
case it is left unrounded. As an example, if *S*5 = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and *p*
= 0.25, then #(*np*) = 1.25, which is not an integer so that we take the
next largest integer and hence *Q*1 = 2. Using the alternative calculation,
we would look at #(*np* + 0.5) = #(1.75) which would again round off to 2.
Note that this method can be considered as “Method 10 with rounding.”